The downturn in undergraduate student enrollment at many universities is putting pressure on marketers to deliver. In this environment, higher education institutions are developing their programs to cater to the various needs of students and employers. Higher education marketers can reference the New Higher Education Programs of 2019 list to better understand their competition and focus on streamlining and improving their school’s programs.
Architecture And Related Services
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture (CIP Code: 04.02) – Belmont University
The first Bachelor of Architecture program offered in Middle Tennessee launching in fall 2020, this program will provide students a direct path to pursue licensure in their field within five years.
Area, Ethnic, Cultural And Gender Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Hispanic Studies (CIP Code: 05.0107) – Graceland University
This program requires 42 semester hours, including the completion of the Spanish Language Program, Latin American History I and II, and includes elective courses that address cross-cultural themes.
Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Associate of Science in Biotechnology (CIP Code: 26.1201) – Amarillo College
This program will equip students with skills and knowledge on technology that harnesses cellular and molecular processes to develop products that help improve human health.
- Master of Science in Pharmacology (CIP Code: 26.1007) – Wilkes University
This 36-credit, 2-year, research-driven degree prepares students to learn about the disposition of drugs in humans while discussing the latest medicinal developments, regulations and therapies.
Business, Management, Marketing And Related Support Services
- Ed.D in Higher Education Leadership and Organizational Studies (CIP Code: 52.1003) – Bay Path University
This program teaches students how to re-imagine institutions, make tough decisions and re-examine whether old ways of doing business are still relevant.
- B.S.B.A. in Financial Planning (CIP Code: 52.0804) – Robert Morris University
This program prepares students for careers in wealth management and financial planning in part by providing personal financial advisors to help give advice on investments, insurance, mortgages and taxes.
- Master’s Degree in Hospitality Management (CIP Code: 52.0901) – Florida International University
This program offers a new, fully online master’s degree in hospitality management with a specialization in mega-event planning for those who have mastered the basics of event management.
- Associate of Science in Hospitality Management (CIP Code: 52.0901) – Seminole State College of Florida
This program is designed to provide real-world experience by offering study abroad opportunities in hospitality and selected culinary experiences so students can be well-versed in the global aspects of the industry.
- Master of Science in Data Science (CIP Code: 52.1301) – University of West Florida
This program offers both online and face-to-face courses that use a synchronous online format which requires students to take courses in IT, computer science, math, physics or another related field.
- Master of Science in Financial Analytics (CIP Code: 52.0801) – University of Dallas
This program combines principles from science, technology, engineering and mathematics with business and finance.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Management in Technology (CIP Code: 52.1206) – South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
This new program being offered fall of 2019 allows students to take STEM classes along with the required courses of calculus, business statistics, chemistry, physics and managerial communications.
- Bachelor of Science in Finance (CIP Code: 52.0801) – East Stroudsburg University
This 48-credit program will provide students with essential knowledge in corporate finance, investment analysis and international financial management.
- Certificate Program in Mobile Food Service (CIP Code: 52.0905) – Schenectady County Community College
Launching fall 2019, this 26-credit program prepares students to work for or start their own mobile food service operations by offering courses with topics in menu development, equipment maintenance, codes and regulations, sanitation and marketing.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Analytics (CIP Code: 52.1301) – University of Scranton
Students pursuing a major in business analytics can develop hands-on skills in using advanced analytical techniques, such as data mining, predictive analytics and statistics, to evaluate large amounts of data collected from e-commerce transactions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Marketing and Merchandising (CIP Code: 52.1902) – Sacred Heart University
This 27-credit program includes a rotation of fashion electives. Students also have the opportunity to study abroad in Milan and Paris for a two-week, three-credit, fashion brand marketing class.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Data Science (CIP Code: 52.1301) – Willamette University
Students have the opportunity to learn from professors who are experts in computer science, math, statistics and the social and natural sciences. They can also gain invaluable experience through internships or research projects that connect their studies to real-world data and organizations.
Communication, Journalism And Related Programs
- Master’s Degree in Public Interest Communications (CIP Code: 09.0900) – University of Florida
This program is an online master’s degree that focuses on the development and implementation of planned strategic communication campaigns with the main goal of achieving positive social change.
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital and Social Media Design (CIP Code: 09.0702) – Anna Maria College
This program will help s
- Global Bachelor of Arts in International and Political Communication (CIP Code: 09.0904) – Emerson College and Franklin University
This new dual degree program allows students to gain an international perspective on U.S. domestic politics that will set them apart from students who have not studied outside of the U.S.
- Post-Baccalaureate in Digital Communication (CIP Code: 09.0702) – Meredith College
This 16-credit program prepares individuals who hold four-year degrees in any major for careers in the field of digital communication.
- Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication (CIP Code: 09.0909) – Marquette University
This program is Marquette University’s first fully online undergraduate degree program, which teaches students how strategic communication shapes corporate identity, branding, culture, mission, and vision.
- Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television (CIP Code: 09.0701) – California Lutheran University
This new program includes courses in advanced television production, post-production, distribution and introduction to film studies. Students can also take research methods and capstone classes and complete internships or independent studies.
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication (CIP Code: 09.0909) – St. John Fisher College
This program includes a two-credit practicum for candidates either through a 10-day trip abroad focused on building insights into global communications or an executive-level immersion experience at an organization in the student’s city of residence.
Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Master of Science in Predictive Analytics (CIP Code: 11.0301) – Moravian College
This program is Moravian College’s first online Graduate Business program in partnership with Extension Engine to help strengthen the school’s commitment towards innovation and data analytics.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Sciences and Technology (CIP Code: 11.0103) – Pennsylvania State University
Students in this program will gain experience in three key areas: designing and building useful technologies, identifying opportunities to enhance user experiences and using methods to identify how technology can better support human activity.
- Master of Science in Cyber Intelligence (CIP Code: 11.1003) – University of Dallas
Designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency, this program combines cybersecurity principles with the most relevant programming techniques.
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity (CIP Code: 11.1003) – Mount Saint Mary College
This new major will help students learn the necessary skills to mitigate security vulnerabilities in software applications by offering courses focused on digital forensics, “ethical hacking” and penetration testing.
- Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity Management (CIP Code: 11.1003) – Auburn University
Offered online and on campus, this program enables IT professionals and other business managers to successfully evaluate security measures, assess organizational threat exposure and develop effective plans for mitigating risk across various business operations.
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (CIP Code: 11.0701) – Bethel University
This program will give students the opportunity to participate in the R.E.A.L. (Relevant Skills, Experiential and Applied Learning) Experience – a program designed to help them gain hands-on experience in computer architecture, networking and web development.
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security (CIP Code: 11.1003) – Albertus Magnus College
This degree is a 120-credit undergraduate program, which consists of 48 credits in General Education, 33 credits in Computer Information Systems, 18 credits in Criminal Justice and 21 elective credits.
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security (CIP Code: 11.1003) – Dunwoody College of Technology
This four semester program consists of all-evening courses taught in a lecture and lab format. Coursework includes systems and software security, scripting for cyber professionals and data protection laws.
- Ed.D in Higher Education Leadership and Organizational Studies (CIP Code: 13.0401) – Bay Path University
This program teaches students how to re-imagine institutions, make tough decisions and re-examine whether old ways of doing business are still relevant.
- B.S.Ed. in Early Childhood Education and Training (CIP Code: 13.1210) – Virginia Commonwealth University
This program focuses on providing students with solid foundations in child development, educational psychology and the role of family and society in education.
- B.S.Ed. in Elementary Education and Teaching (CIP Code: 13.1202) – Virginia Commonwealth University
This program helps students develop skills to advocate for equitable learning opportunities for all children.
- B.S.Ed. in Secondary Education and Teaching (CIP Code: 13.1205) – Virginia Commonwealth University
This program offers students solid foundations in secondary education, engineering, mathematics and sciences.
- B.S.Ed. in Special Education and Teaching/General (CIP Code: 13.1019) – Virginia Commonwealth University
This program engages students in academic and professional experiences that help them serve as educators in schools and community-based settings.
- M.S.Ed. in Special Education (CIP Code: 13.1019) – Black Hills State University
This program is offered online and helps students develop strategies for managing academic and behavioral problems by offering courses in pre-professional, special ed, teaching and general ed. Internships and field experiences are also offered.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (CIP Code: 14.1001) – Western Illinois University
This program allows students to gain real-world experience with industry and business professionals from EE Internships and capstone Senior Design projects.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (CIP Code: 15.0201) – University of Southern Indiana
This program is 127 hours, which includes 47 hours of core civil engineering courses and 16 hours of engineering electives.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (CIP Code: 15.0201) – Western Illinois University
This program helps students develop knowledge in four areas: Geomechanics, Hydrology, Structures and Transportation with an internship requirement.
- Bachelor and Master of Science in Robotics Engineering (CIP Code: 15.0405) – Columbus State University
This program offers facilities for 3D design and printing, robotics teacher training, student research, and competitions.
- Master of Science in Engineering Management (CIP Code: 15.1501) – Tennessee Tech University
This online interdisciplinary program offered collaboratively with the College of Engineering and College of Business is designed to provide early-career engineering and related professionals with leadership and technical skills to enhance their job performance.
English Language And Literature/Letters
- Low Residency M.F.A. in Creative Writing (CIP Code: 23.1302) – Cornell College This residency consists of five semesters in which students attend workshops, panel discussions and lectures to ultimately help plan discussions from their own creative thesis.
Foreign Languages, Literatures And Linguistics
- Bachelor’s Degree in American Sign Language and Deaf Studies (CIP Code: 16.1601) – University of Kansas and Johnson County Community College
This program requires a total of 30-33 credit hours and for students to complete two of four academic tracks: Deaf Studies and Social Justice, Advanced ASL, Becoming an Interpreter or Professional Interpreting.
- Certificate Program in Spanish/English Translation and Interpreting (CIP Code: 16.0103) – University of New Orleans
This program will appeal to professionals in legal and healthcare fields seeking additional skills to better serve clients and patients, or bilingual individuals who would like to enhance their professional skillset.
Health Professions And Related Clinical Sciences
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Social Work (CIP Code: 51.1503) – Fairfield University
This program allows students to learn in collaboration with one another across the disciplines of nursing, health studies and public health.
- Master’s Degree in Communication Disorders (CIP Code: 51.0201) – Sacred Heart University
This program prepares students in the fields of speech language pathology or audiology
- Master of Science in Athletic Training (CIP Code: 51.0913) – Winona State University
This program is designed with a heavy focus on clinical education, and students will gain hands-on practical experiences under the direct supervision of a preceptor.
- Master of Science in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing (CIP Code: 51.3810) – Briar Cliff University
Beginning in fall 2019, the program focuses on the care of individuals with psychiatric mental health conditions across the lifespan by including specialty courses in neuroscience of pharmacology.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Nursing and Public Health (CIP Code: 51.3805) – Moravian College
This program is a traditional four-year, pre-licensure baccalaureate (BSN) program, with a 16-month long, pre-licensure accelerated BSN program for college graduates, a baccalaureate degree-completion program for registered nurses (RN to BSN) and a master’s (MSN) program.
- Physician Assistant Studies (CIP Code: 51.0716) – Morehouse School of Medicine
This is a 28-month, seven-semester academic professional degree program that includes basic science and clinical coursework, clinical skills training and supervised clinical practice.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (CIP Code: 51.3801) – Cabrini University
Students can gain insight into the theories and concepts essential to nursing practice, professionalism and their roles as members of inter-professional healthcare terms.
- Master of Science in Athletic Training (CIP Code: 51.0913) – University of West Florida
This program meets local, state and national needs for licensed, qualified athletic training professionals.
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CIP Code: 51.1508) – Cazenovia College
This program prepares students to become informed and ethical practitioners, equipped with tools for mental health counseling in individual, family and group settings.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Informatics and Information Management (CIP Code: 51.2706) – Mary Baldwin University
Students will earn digital badge credentials while enrolled in the program as well as professional skills such as project management and communication.
- Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology (CIP Code: 51.0203) – Concordia University of Wisconsin
This two-year graduate program offers access to off-site community service and clinical opportunities to prepare students to become competent and respectful speech-language pathologists.
- Doctorate of Occupational Therapy (CIP Code: 51.2306) – Marquette University
This program is a three-year professional course of study in occupational therapy theory, research and practice intended to also benefit students with learning opportunities from other health disciplines.
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Engineering (CIP Code: 51.2010) – Virginia Commonwealth University
As the nation’s first Ph.D. program in pharmaceutical engineering, this program focuses on research and training students in areas of drug product development, such as continuous manufacturing and drug-containing nanomaterials.
- Doctorate in Health Science (CIP Code: 51.0001) – East Stroudsburg University
This degree offers two concentrations where students can choose Health Management and Administration or Advanced Research Administration. The core courses focus on communication, leadership theory, ethics and advanced research methods.
- Bachelor of Arts in Medical Humanities (CIP Code: 51.3201) – Saint Leo University
This program is for students who are interested in the way individuals adapt to human development and suffering. Students are required to take two foundation courses and a course in bio ethics, and then they have the option to choose between the pre-medical track and the health and humanities track.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Promotion and Health Equity (CIP Code: 51.2207) – University of Wisconsin at Madison
This 120-credit program is broadly designed to provide students with the skills to facilitate healthy practices at the individual and societal levels by teaching them about the foundations of healthy promotion and equity interventions and how to evaluate strengths and weaknesses in health promotion programs.
Legal Professions And Studies
- Certificate in Regulatory Affairs for Cannabis Control (CIP Code: 22.0299) – Clark University
This is the nation’s first Certificate in Regulatory Affairs for Cannabis Control, an online three-course graduate certificate program beginning fall 2019.
- Certificate in Cannabis Industry (CIP Code: 22.0299) – Berkshire Community College
This program will provide students with the skills and knowledge to work professionally in the areas of cannabis cultivation, processing, preparation, retail and outreach.
- B.A. and B.S. in Sustainability (CIP Code: 30.3301) – University of Dayton
The B.A. degree will have tracks in food studies and urban sustainability among others, while the B.S. degree will have tracks in energy and sustainable watersheds among others.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sustainability Studies (CIP Code: 30.3301) – Muhlenberg College
This program explores how sustainability impacts the world by offering courses regarding social justice, economic development and policy and practice.
Natural Resources And Conservation
- B.S.B.A. in Environmental Studies (CIP Code: 03.0103) – Elmhurst College
This new program will prepare students for careers in environmental policy analysis, urban and regional planning, environmental advocacy and natural resource management and research.
Parks, Recreation, Leisure And Fitness Studies
- B.S.Ed. in Health and Physical Education (CIP Code: 31.0501) – Virginia Commonwealth University
This program will focus on providing students with the knowledge and experiences they need to implement national and state health and physical education standards.
- Master’s Degree and Graduate Certificates in Sport Studies (CIP Code: 31.0508) – Tulane University
In collaboration with the Center for Sport at Tulane University, this program provides students opportunities to earn “stackable certificates,” which can be used to fulfil academic requirements for more advanced programs.
- Associate’s Degree in Pre-Sports Management (CIP Code: 31.0504) – Grand Rapids Community College
Starting fall 2019, this program will prepare students for leadership and administrative roles in sports organizations by offering courses in microeconomics, psychology, statistics, general anatomy and business.
- Welding Skills Certificate Program (CIP Code: 48.0508) – Grand Rapids Community College
This program will prepare students for entry-level positions over two semesters so they can enter jobs in the manufacturing, petroleum, aerospace, automation and medical fields.
- Master of Science in Applied Behavior Analysis (CIP Code: 42.2814) – University of Alabama at Huntsville
This program offers face-to-face and online courses which apply scientific methods to develop programs and services for individuals with unique behavior needs.
- Master of Arts in Applied Behavior Analysis (CIP Code: 42.2814) – University of North Texas
This program is intended to prepare students for certifications as Board Certified Behavior Analysts by offering courses on principles of behaviors, research methodologies and how to design procedures for systematic application of behavioral technologies.
We were unable to identify any new higher education programs launched in 2019 in the mechanic and repair technology category, the fifth-ranked higher education category.
Security And Protective Services
- Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security (CIP Code: 43.03) – University of Arkansas
This 12-credit hour program can be completed in two to four eight-week sessions, and is designed to prepare students to take the Certified Protection Professional exam.
- Associate Degree in Public Safety Administration (CIP Code: 43.0103) – Piedmont Community College
This program provides courses such as public service administration and education, crisis leadership, agency financial management and incident management and enables students to obtain academic credit for previously- earned credentials within the public safety sector.
- Doctorate Degree in International Affairs (CIP Code: 45.0901) – Johns Hopkins University
This program provides students with the practical skills and experience needed to become the next generation of senior-level policy experts, national security analysts, development strategists, and senior officials in government, nonprofit and private sectors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law, Rights, and Justice (CIP Code: 45.0401) – Linfield College
This program helps students examine the relationships between law, rights and competing concepts of justice by offering courses in political science, philosophy, history, English, business and public policy.
Transportation And Materials Moving
- Bachelor of Science in Unmanned Aircraft Systems (CIP Code: 49.0104) – Elizabeth City State University
Approved by the U.S. Department of Education, this program launching in fall 2019 will allow students to receive drone pilot training, mission planning, data processing and system design and integration.
Visual And Performing Arts
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (CIP Code: 50.0101) – Augustana University
This program will let students select at least one emphasis area from the seven offered: ceramics, drawing, graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking or sculpture.
- Bachelor of Arts in Theater Education (CIP Code: 50.0501) – Indiana Wesleyan University
This program requires students to complete a total of 124-126 credit hours, including general education, teacher education, theater and elective courses.
- Bachelor of Arts in Technical Art History (CIP Code: 50.0703) – West Virginia University
This program is the first degree of its kind in the nation, offering close studies of physical objects using scientific methods with the humanities-based research of art history.
- Bachelor of Musical Arts (CIP Code: 50.0101) – Lawrence University
In order to get accepted into this program, students must first audition with a musical piece from any genre. Once accepted, students may study music with a choice of another field in liberal arts. They can take about two-thirds of their classes in their major area of study and about one-third in general education or electives.
- Master’s Degree in Serious Games (CIP Code: 50.0411) – University of California, Santa Cruz
This program trains students over five academic quarters in six key areas: game design, game technology, eliciting and integrating subject matter knowledge, designing and conducting efficacy measures, effective teamwork and career planning.
Note: This list will continue to be updated over time. Have a new program that launched in 2019 at your school? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us about it.
Reimagining Your Digital Marketing Win?
About the AuthorMore Content by Jennifer Chang