In April, Google Discovery ads were made available to advertisers worldwide, after a year of testing. Google Discovery ads offer opportunities to advertisers across the Google universe, with the potential to reach high-intent audiences.
Do Google Discovery Serve Ads Across Google Products?
Yes. According to a Google Blog post about Discovery ads, “For the first time, you can reach up to 2.9 billion people as they explore their interests and look for inspiration across multiple Google surfaces — all with a single, easy-to-use campaign.”
Google Discovery ads can be served in YouTube Home and Watch Next feeds, the Google Discover feed and through timely offers in the Social and Promotions tabs on Gmail. “Google machine learning is used to determine when to serve a Discovery ad that will deliver the best results on the campaign objective,” said Jerry Dischler, VP/GM of Ads Platforms & Google Properties to Search Engine Land. Dischler added that automated campaign optimization means campaign results should continue to improve as the duration of campaigns lengthens.
How Do Google Discovery Ads Work?
Advertisers can choose two different formats of Google Discovery ads:
- Discovery Ads: Feature one image
- Carousel Ads: Have multiple rotating images
When building Discovery ads campaigns, the Google guide to building Discovery offers these suggestions:
- Create ads with high-quality images that are inspirational and that relay a story that connects with audiences.
- Use headlines and descriptions that highlight promotions and offerings. According to Search Engine Land advertisers can choose up to five headlines and five descriptions, so various combinations can be served.
- Deploy targeting strategies that focus on audiences likely to convert using performance in search, video and display as a guide. Include 10 converting search keywords per “custom intent audience.”
- Measure performance of campaigns regularly, but don’t make any ad changes until after 40 conversions.
- Choose “an average daily budget at least 10 times the value of your target cost-per-action (CPA) bid.”
How Do Google Discovery Ads Benefit Digital Marketers?
The visual impact, social media influence and efficient targeting of Google Discovery ads makes them an ideal fit for multichannel marketers hoping to reach high-intent audiences. According to Google, “86% of online consumers say they're on the lookout for shopping ideas as they watch videos or explore content across the web.” By serving ads to audiences actively seeking new purchase opportunities, brands could experience higher conversion rates and ROI.
Are You Looking For New Ways To Reach Targeted Audiences?
Digital Media Solutions® (DMS) helps brands flourish by capitalizing on consumer intent and engagement, deploying sophisticated martech with big data intelligence to connect brands with consumers at the moments they’re most ready to take action, using messages proven to resonate.