Treat yourself is the self care mantra we see most these days. Many of us tend to focus on looking good and putting on the appearance that we are always okay, but self care is more than that.
What Is Self Care?
Self care is about creating authentic balance and well-being across all areas of your life: professional, physical, relationships, emotional and environmental.
How do we create that balance? By getting back to basics.
7 Ways To Practice Self Care
- Listen & Learn Your Body’s Cues. Our never-ending to-do lists often keep us from taking a moment to check in with ourselves. Are you tired? Thirsty? Hungry? Need to move, stretch or change positions?
- Fuel Yourself Properly. Sometimes we get so busy we fail to remember our body’s most basic needs: water and food! Make sure you’re eating a well-balanced diet on a schedule that works for you and drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- Make A List Of Activities That Help You Re-Center. When we feel overwhelmed, it’s easy for our fight, flight or freeze responses to kick in. Having a list of activities that helps you regulate your emotions or energize you can prepare you to take action before these responses kick in. PS – don’t be afraid to try something new!
- Make That Appointment! Whether it’s your annual physical or dental cleaning, these routine appointments are critical to proactive self-care.
- Reach Out To Family Or Friends. Human beings were built by connections and, too often, we let our relationships fall to the wayside in the pursuit of productivity. A texted hello or “just because” phone call goes a long way to re-establishing your sense of belonging.
- Adjust Your Environment. Our surroundings have a huge impact on how we feel, so changing it up can provide us with a burst of energy or a sense of calm. Get outside for five minutes or spend 15 minutes tidying up your space to calm the chaos.
- Work For A Company That Prioritizes Its People. Digital Media Solutions (DMS) includes a collection of wellness and mindfulness programs as part of its health benefits offerings. The corporate-sponsored tools and initiatives allow DMS employees to feel supported and connected and work to help break down the stigma surrounding mental health. Click here to view open positions at DMS.
Remember: Start Slow And Be Ready To Adapt
Habits don’t change overnight. Give yourself small self-care goals to start out and don’t hesitate to change something that isn’t working for you. Taking the time to care for yourself isn’t selfish. In fact, it’s one of the least selfish things you can do and one of the only things you can do that creates more time in the long run.
Want To Join A Team That Prioritizes Self Care & Values Holistic Wellness?
Click here to view open positions at DMS and enter your email address below to subscribe to wellness tips and news about DMS career opportunities.