The top 10 car companies in America account for more than two-thirds of cars currently on the road. Meanwhile the top 25 car models in the U.S. equate to just more than one-quarter of all cars being driven today. The charts below, based on 2018 consumer data collected by Digital Media Solutions, detail the top car makes and car models in the U.S.
- 10 car companies equate to 70% of all cars on the road in America.
- Of the top 10 car makes, five are American and five are foreign.
- Chevrolet and Ford are the dominant auto makers, equating to more than one-quarter of all cars on the road.
- BMW is the only luxury car brand in the top 10 car make list.
Market Share – Top 25 Car Models in the U.S.
- Combined, the top 25 car models in the U.S. make up more than one-quarter of all the cars on the road.
- 16 of the top 25 car models are sedans, six are SUVs and three are pick-up trucks.
- Sedans: Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Malibu, Chrysler 200, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Ford Focus, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Sonata Nissan Altima, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla
- SUVs: Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Escape, Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Rogue
- Pick-Up Trucks: Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram, Ford F-150
- Six of the top 25 car models are compact cars: Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Sentra.
- Three of the top compact cars were cancelled for 2019: Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Impala, Ford Focus.
- Chevrolet, the most popular car brand in America, has six of the top 25 car models.
- Though Honda doesn’t make it into the top five car makes, both the Honda Accord and the Honda Civic make the list of top 10 car models.
- Despite not making the top 10 car make list, Hyundai, Chrysler and Jeep all have cars listed in the top 25 models list.
- Of the top 10 car brands, only two do not have car models on the top 25 list: BMW and GMC.
- Top BMW: X5 (#60)
- Top GMC: Yukon (#35)
- The Nissan Altima is the most popular car model in America.
- The Ford F-150 is the most popular pick-up truck in America.
- The Chevrolet Equinox is the most popular SUV in America.
- No sports cars, minivans or luxury cars are on the top 25 car model list.
- Most Popular Sports Car: Ford Mustang (#26)
- Most Popular Minivan: Chrysler Grand Caravan (#32)
- Most Popular Luxury Car: Cadillac CTS (#39)
Source: Aggregated data collected from 2018 consumer auto warranty inquiries on Digital Media Solutions owned-and-operated and premium publisher partner websites. Sample size >300,000.
Seeking New Ways To Maximize Your Customer Acquisition Efforts?
Digital Media Solutions (DMS) is a technology-enabled, data-driven performance advertising solutions provider connecting consumers and advertisers. Contact DMS today to learn how our first-party data asset, proprietary technology and expansive digital media reach can help you scale your customer acquisition results.