And their marketing has developed quite a reputation, leading some to wonder, what is the best Geico commercial?
For that answer, Geico is turning to consumers.
History Of Geico’s Advertising
Throughout their various campaigns, Geico has created ads centered around talking camels, spies getting calls from their moms, dramatic soap operas, and of course, a friendly gecko. No matter how out of the box their commercials get, they always finish with their memorable tagline, “15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance,” to tie every campaign back to their central objective.
First introduced in 1999, when Geico’s market share was just 2%, the Geico gecko was meant to promote brand familiarity and help consumers pronounce “Geico” correctly. The Geico gecko also made consumers laugh, taking away some of the stresses that insurance radiates.
Before 1999, most insurance marketing executed “neighborly” messaging. With the gecko, Geico did something new, bringing humor to insurance marketing and quickly connecting with younger consumers over cynical jokes. Other insurance companies noticed and tried to find their own stake within comedy, which led to the inception of funny mascots like Flo from Progressive and Mayhem from Allstate.
Geico balances between funny content and earnest messaging to remind consumers that insurance is serious, but it doesn’t need to be a burden.
What Is #BestofGeico?
Geico is asking consumers to participate in the #BestofGeico contest. Fans can cast their votes once every 24 hours for one out of the following 10 iconic campaigns:
- Gecko Interview: their famous mascot interviewing for the job at Geico
- Soap Opera: two overly dramatic characters discussing insurance
- Collect Call: a son calling his father about his newborn child
- Squirrels: squirrels high-fiving after dodging a moving car
- Possum: a father brings home a possum instead of a puppy
- Reality Show: a couple lives in a tiny home
- Spy: a mother calls her son, who is a spy and in the middle of an action-packed fight
- Maxwell the Pig: a pig screams the whole car ride home
- Hump Day: a talking camel reminds coworkers that it’s Wednesday
- Caveman Airport: a caveman reads a relatable billboard
Voting closes on February 5, 2019 at 11:59pm ET. Plus, consumers who vote can enter to win a spot as an actor in Geico’s next commercial.
Geico Launches #BestofGeico To Encourage Consumer Engagement
Geico hosting a contest centered around their iconic TV spots is meant to encourage consumer interaction. These iconic campaigns are loved by many and have stuck with consumers, as proved by consumer participation in the poll.
Most recently, Geico’s “Hump Day” took the top slot in the leaderboard for “The Best of Geico.”
Whether it’s with a friendly green gecko or a loud camel, Geico manages to approach insurance with a humorous and light-hearted tone, making consumers remember their marketing initiatives and their tagline: “15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance.”
Reimagining Your Insurance Marketing Win?
About the AuthorMore Content by Victoria Pallien