The highly anticipated Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is opening in theaters on December 20, catching the tail end of the holiday season. The global promotional push for the final Star Wars chapter of the saga is sure to be galactic. The movie trailer was released on October 21 (Carrie Fisher’s birthday), during Monday night football. Pre-sale tickets went on sale the same day, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker sold more tickets in their first hour than any other movie ticket pre-sale release to date. Star Wars, and its parent company Disney, are ready to capitalize on the frenzy surrounding the movie release.
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Collaborating With Major Brands
Product tie-ins for the latest Star Wars film will feature products and related content from eight iconic brands including Porsche, Bose, United Airlines, General Electric, McDonald’s, Samsung Mobile, General Mills and Dannon.
Star Wars promotional partners orchestrated a coordinated social media reveal of the first look at the newest Star Wars character, Babu Frik. Each of the brands posted an exclusive image of Babu Frik on their social media pages linking to the Star Wars blog where audiences could learn more. Additionally, these brands will offer Star Wars branded promotions.
Star Wars Marketing Partners Offering Special Promotions
- Bose will provide audio augmented reality (AR) experiences through the official Star Wars app, offering users an immersive audio AR experience placing fans into beloved Star Wars scenes with a 360-degree perspective. Any Bose AR-enabled device will be able to unlock this exclusive experience on the Star Wars app.
- Porsche designed the new starship, which will be featured in Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, and is coordinating the movie release with the introduction of its first fully-electric sedan, Taycan.
- Samsung will release a special Star Wars edition of their Galaxy Note 10+.
- General Electric is set to bring fans special film engagement opportunities at appliance retailers in the U.S.
- McDonald's is hosting a sweepstakes opportunity with each Happy Meal purchase.
- General Mills is releasing special Star Wars cereal.
- Dannon is launching new Star Wars-themed smoothie bottles.
Star Wars Unveils New Products With #TripleForceFriday
Star Wars Triple Force Friday took place on October 4 and kicked off a global celebration of new Star Wars toys, collectibles and merchandise. Retailers encouraged fans to search #tripleforcefriday on social platforms to learn more about the new product launches. On Triple Force Friday, fans who signed up for special Amazon alerts were notified when to tune into Twitch TV and watch live interactive unboxings, product deep-dives and back stories. Consumers were able to chat and buy new Star Wars games, toys and collectibles through Amazon.
The Force Is Strong With Target
Disney and Star Wars launched a “shop-in-shop” in partnership with Target. Select Target stores across the country unveiled a Disney store within Target featuring exclusive Star Wars merchandise. In conjunction with the shop-in-shop launch, Disney announced #ShareTheForceFriday, asking consumers to share their own user-generated content (UGC) with products featured in the Target shop-in-shop.
Star Wars: The Rise of The Skywalker is the ninth episode in the Skywalker saga and the concluding chapter in this iconic series. The movie is sure to be a block-buster during the holiday season, and the marketing tie-ins will give exposure for all brands involved. Additional Star Wars marketing tie-ins will be announced as the movie premiere date draws closer.