The first full week of October marks a new quarter and a change in seasons. While changes can be new and exciting, they can also bring uncertainty and be challenging both personally and professionally.
By choosing your perspective you can find the possibilities and opportunities for growth that change brings.
We Are In Charge Of Our Perspective
As DMS CEO Joe Marinucci has shared over the last year in the Enjoying The Journey blog, we are in charge of our perspective. We can choose to focus on the negative things we see around us, or we can choose to turn those things into a catalyst for change.
This is easier said than done, but here are a few ways that can help you embrace change and experience it positively:
- Write down your thoughts. Journaling is an effective way to process change and the emotions and uncertainty that often accompany it. Journaling helps build self-awareness, focus your thoughts, and really get to the heart of the situation. Be sure when you’re going down the road of “what ifs” that you include the possible positive outcomes, not just what could go wrong.
- Talk about your experiences. Find someone you trust to share your thoughts with. It can be a friend, family member, colleague or therapist. Find a group of people with similar interests by checking out our many Slack channels (or maybe even starting one) and build connections.
- Be present. Set an intention to become aware of your thoughts. Bring them back into this moment by fully immersing your senses into the task at hand. Whatever life is presenting you, seek to become absorbed in it, whether it’s doing laundry, cooking or relaxing.
- Focus on forward movement. When navigating change there are two ways to focus. You can look back or look forward. It’s ok to acknowledge things that are lost in change, but don’t get so lost that you lose sight of all the opportunities that come with it, too.
- Use your toolkit to manage stress. DMS offers our employees a suite of tools to help them manage the anxiety change can bring including:
- Free therapy and coaching through ModernHealth
- Meditations through the Calm App
- Mindful Mondays sessions