Initially launched on April 8, Google recently announced the completion of a new product reviews algorithm update, created to “reward” more detailed product reviews that “share in-depth research, rather than thin content that simply summarizes a bunch of products.”
Google shared, “Google Search is always working to show the most useful and helpful information possible, through testing, experimenting and review processes.” Adding, “We believe this [algorithm update] will further help those producing rich content in the product reviews area.”
What Is Google’s New Product Reviews Algorithm Update?
Google's new product reviews algorithm update promotes, within search result rankings, standout product reviews that offer consumers “insightful analysis and original research.” Google specifically called out “content written by experts or enthusiasts who know the topic well,” that will result in further promotion by Google. While Google, through the new product reviews algorithm update, spotlights more in-depth reviews, the search engine states “lower-quality product reviews” will not technically or proactively be penalized through the new algorithm update. However, the possibility of lesser quality reviews resulting in lower search rankings is likely.
What Advice Is Google Providing For Content Publishers Following The Algorithm Update?
While the latest product reviews algorithm update is on a smaller scale compared to Google’s larger core updates, Google still stresses the importance of content publishers producing the highest quality content possible. To help, Google published, on its Google Search Central Blog, a list of recommended questions for content writers to ask themselves as they develop product review content, as detailed below.
“Do your [product] reviews:”
- Provide quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance?
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors?
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances?
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product, based on research into it?
Are You Looking For New Ways To Reach Targeted Audiences?
Digital Media Solutions® (DMS) is a leading technology-enabled, data-driven digital performance advertising solutions provider connecting consumers and advertisers. Contact DMS today to learn how our first-party data asset, proprietary technology and expansive media reach can help you connect with high-intent consumers.
Related News About The Latest Google Updates
- Google Dynamic Exclusion Lists: Just The Facts
- Google Question Hub: Just The Facts
- What Are The New Lead Form Extensions In Google?
- Google Search Offers A Glimpse Into The Issues That Matter To People Around The World
- Google Won In 2020 Through Consistent Innovation & Positive User Experience
Additional Digital Advertising Resources
- On-Demand Webinar: Power Partnerships: How to Pair Paid Search and SEO for Marketing Wins
- On-Demand Webinar: How to Engage the Digital Window Shopper
- DMS Success Story: Testing And Iterating Creative And Placements To Engage Retail Consumers
- DMS Success Story: Utilizing DMS Expertise For Campaign Optimization
About the AuthorMore Content by Carolyn Harding